Our Mission Assistance Case Studies Press Room IPAO Forum
HOME : IPAO Forum : IPAO Forum : IPAO Forum : IPAO Forum
FORUM CATEGORIES
Commentaries on IP issues by experts from business, academia, science ...
The IP Climate is Changing - What You Should Know
Facing off with a university in court is something no inventor wants to ...
Ethics and technology transfer do not always go hand-in-hand. Share your...
Intellectual property polices may differ from actual practices at your u...

Ethics and Best Practices

Ethics and technology transfer do not always go hand-in-hand. Share your thoughts and experiences here.

Pulitzer Prize Winning Journalist's Sudden Death

Rich Whitt, Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, died unexpectedly of a heart attack on Monday, January 26, 2009 at his home in Marietta, Georgia. He was 64.

Whitt was a hard-hitting journalist who held himself and those in public service to the highest standards and was relentless in exposing those who harmed those they were charged with serving and protecting.

His Pulitzer Prize was awarded for his series on the 1977 fire at Kentucky nightspot, the Beverly Hills Supper Club, where 165 lives were lost in the blaze. Whitt's investigation into the fire found fire codes ignored, capacity exceeded, emergency exits bolted and bribes covering up flagrant violations. As a result of his work, criminal charges were filed and Kentucky fire codes were changed.

Colleagues of Whitt found him to be a "pit bull of a reporter" who could be perceived as difficult because he openly criticized editors and other reporters who did not act with journalistic integrity.

As a cub reporter, Whitt was confronted by the corrupt police chief he was investigating who tried to intimidate him into dropping the story. Instead of walking away, Whitt said, "I just went home and loaded my shotgun and kept it by my bed." He had decided that, "I couldn't be intimidated and do this job. I would be lying to myself if I allowed myself to be intimidated. I never felt that kind of fear again."

Although this commitment made him a dogged reporter who served the public well, it did not garner him promotions or popularity among higher ups. In fact the Atlanta Journal Constitution, where he worked for nearly 20 years, failed to even draft an obituary for the dedicated journalist.

Whitt grew up in extreme poverty in the foothills of Appalachia and remained passionately connected to the issues of the poor, though he felt it hindered his career. He described himself as a "redneck journalist" who wrote "...the kind of journalism that when you read the paper in the morning, you say, 'Damn that makes me mad'..." This type of writing, he said, "motivates people to do things."

While he never saw himself as a crusader, in fact, he was a champion for the rights of the impoverished and powerless. Whitt's final work, Behind the Hedges: Big Money and Power Politics at the University of Georgia, will be released April 6th by New South Books and is a consummate example of Whitt's investigative acumen. This book exposes the questionable actions of UGA's President Michael Adams.

In lieu of flowers, to honor Rich Whitt's memory and incredible devotion to integrity in investigative journalism, it is requested that donations be made to the Richard Whitt Memorial Fund for Rural Journalists at the University of Kentucky's School of Journalism.

We encourage you to leave a comment on this blog with your reminiscence of Rich Whitt as a journalist, colleague or friend.

Comments

Comments : 2 - Last Post : Apr 20, 2009 12:43 PM by: gburfield
re: Pulitzer Prize Winning Journalist's Sudden Death
Posted by geraldm: Apr 13, 2009 8:28 AM

As an Atlanta native, I have enjoyed Rich's columns in the AJC, so I was eager to read his book, though saddened that it was the last thing he would write. The book is simply shocking! I struggle to understand how the Board of Regents and others in Georgia's "good old boy" network can turn a blind eye to Adams' activities. Everyday that he sits in his office at UGA, the university loses prestige, reputation and badle needed funds from alumni and other donors.

re: Pulitzer Prize Winning Journalist's Sudden Death
Posted by gburfield: Apr 20, 2009 12:43 PM

I have read Whitt's columns in the AJC. His retirement was a loss to the newspaper and his untimely death a loss to us all. AJC should make up for its lack of posting an obituary article by putting together a retrospective on him for his dedicated readers.

IP Advocate.org Copyright 2019

You are about to leave IPAdvocate.org and go to an outside website.

IPAdvocate.org does not control any outside website and is not responsible

for content, performance or policies, including Privacy Policy.

Thank you for visiting IPAdvocate.org.